Sunday, January 19, 2014

My next post will be of things I've sewn.

This one, however, will be about why you should watch When Calls The Heart.

Answer: Because it is amazing.

Somehow, I feel most people won't be persuaded by that. So, to elaborate, it is an exciting, family-friendly period drama of well-off woman who follows her calling to teach...all the way out in the Wild Canadian West. After she accidentally burns down the teacherage, she goes to live with Abigail (yes, she's Becky from Full House, and brilliant in the series). Abigail, like many women in the mining town of Coal Valley, recently lost her husband and son in a mining accident.

I won't give away more than that, except to say that the series is full of excitement. The costumes and scenery are awesome, and there are very strong female characters. I also like the faith element that permeates the show. I don't think it would be a period piece without that element, and I enjoy the allusions or occasional explicit remarks by characters. It is by no means overpowering, and it's more a story about hope and service and community than an attempt to convert anyone to Christianity. So, regardless of personal beliefs, I think anyone can take away LOADS of hope and encouragement from the show.

If you're looking for some wholesome entertainment, check it out. It's on the Hallmark Channel at 9pm ET/8pm CT on Saturdays, and the episode replays on Sundays at 7 and 10pm ET/6 and 9pm CT.

The show is directed by Michael Landon Jr (created Love Comes Softly series, and son of the little house on the prairie director and star).



(All images from Hallmark Channel)
\



No comments:

About Me

In short, this contains my travels to Jersualem, Double H, Scotland, and St. Louis, among other, completely unrelated experiences :)

Blog Archive