I would not have predicted this job search would be as hard as it has. My midwestern and southern friends...it didn't take most of them long to find jobs. I have no frame of reference for the east coast, since few moved out here. But it's month 3 and 1 bite, that called and wanted to talk to me, thought I had my doctorate in physical therapy.
My friend, Stephanie, she calls this a wilderness period.
When everything hangs in question...
Where I'll live. What setting I'll work in. Whether there'll be young people/friends there. Whether I'll ever get married and have kids. What my church community will look like.
The one answer that I do have is that my job most likely won't be here in upstate NY. Everyone has experience, and so I'm stuck trying to figure out how to get experience without moving to Alaska (huge shortage because they don't have an OT school there).
But I've also learned that even a wilderness period has its upsides.
When you're in a wilderness period, you learn how to enjoy the wild.
That's the only way to get through it. To mature through it.
Leaning not on our own understanding, but on trusting that this experience can teach, and that it's for a reason.
Ultimately, I know that I'll be an asset as an OT. I was gifted for it. That I am sure of. As long as I can find a decent organization to give me a chance, I feel confident that my skills will carry me. I'll continue to grow.
When you're stuck in the wilderness, it's possible to be at peace.
To fight uncertainty with hope and gratefulness and tenacity. To follow the light, even if you're not sure where it's leading.
No comments:
Post a Comment