Monday, March 24, 2014

Life is funny when you can laugh at yourself. 
I tried on the "too cool" shirt in elementary school, and it fit like an itchy shirt. 
Who wants to be in something constantly unpleasant?

And who wants to spend time mortified when you can laugh and learn?
I remember at 5th grade graduation I was mortified because everyone was laughing when I followed my ears and started to go to receive my diploma from a speaker, which was where I heard my teacher's voice. 

Well, at high school prom I took a tumble down the stairs in front of 2000 of my closest friends, and at graduation my track coach hugged me on stage and sent my cap sailing off head. 
I escaped college with nothing less than being announced "Joyce Data-con"
and grad school wasn't too bad. Strangled by a hood...that didn't actually come with my robe. I didn't know it was supposed to until about three minutes before the ceremony. 

So today, you know, when a site called me back and I arranged an interview...and then later got an email stating the actual location...which I had forgotten to ask...I just had to laugh. 

And I could hardly contain my glee when I saw our library got an self-check out machine. A high school classmate's mom works at the library. She often checks me (my books) out. Now I can avoid the questions and shame of stepping forth with a pile of kids books, or the thousand Janette Oke books (only) for the forth week in a row. The woman wrote a lot! So smile at the small things? 

Or this humorous exchange:
"I'm going to come out and say it. You live far away."
"Well, I wasn't planning on commuting. It is a 2-hour drive each way. I would make a move out there."

Thankfully, the phone interviewer had a sense of humor (which one can rarely be sure of on the phone). 
I was a bit more professional after that. 

But yeah, if silly things are going to slither out and don't hurt anyone, in my estimation, you should learn from them...and when possible, laugh. 
Because our lives are not scripted. Not every word is perfect, not every scene is flawless, and morning hair definitely occurs. 

So that's today's lesson. Laugh. Also, I have an in-person interview on Friday. I am hoping that I continue to learn good lessons through this process. 
And laugh in the wilderness. 

No comments:

About Me

In short, this contains my travels to Jersualem, Double H, Scotland, and St. Louis, among other, completely unrelated experiences :)

Blog Archive